The engagement period has ended. We are reviewing feedback and will report back with results.
Timeline item 1 - complete
Timeline item 2 - active
Timeline item 3 - incomplete
DCP amendments finalised
Council is looking to introduce Special Entertainment Precincts across the Inner West. The first at Enmore Road, soon to be followed at other locations which may include Marrickville, Leichhardt, Rozelle and Balmain.
To enable Special Entertainment Precincts to be implemented Council needs to develop detailed controls on things like sound proofing and sound levels.
This is initially being done via an amendment to the Marrickville Development Control Plan (DCP) 2011. Amendments to other DCPs will follow as new entertainment precincts are rolled out.
The NSW Government introduced special entertainment precincts to provide a different way for councils to manage amplified noise from licensed premises.
Creating a Special Entertainment Precinct is an acknowledgement of an area's status as an entertainment and hospitality destination - a status we want to protect while being mindful about neighbourhood liveability.
On 28 April 2023 the NSW government gave Council the green light to make Enmore Road a permanent Special Entertainment Precinct (SEP).
To formalise this change Council has to update the planning framework (Inner West Local Environmental Plan 2022) - you can read about those changes and have your say on the Enmore Road SEP project page (the link takes you to another page on this site).
The aim of the new development controls is to:
- Support a thriving, diverse, inclusive, and safe night-time economy
- Support creative and cultural industries that rely on the night-time economy, including the entertainment and live music sector
- Manage sound expectations in and around Special Entertainment Precincts and maintain reasonable sound levels for residents and other sensitive land uses
The new development controls will:
- Require certain types of buildings to include appropriate sound proofing to ensure they can co-exist with entertainment venues
- Require entertainment venues to demonstrate that the venue will not exceed set levels for entertainment sound
- Future-proof mixed use buildings so they can host entertainment without requiring costly upgrades
Details of affected properties and requirements can be found in the draft DCP amendment. If you have any questions about the proposals please contact the project lead Jarrad Sheather on 02 9392 5210
Development Control Plans are used for the assessment of development applications. They do not apply to existing buildings unless they are being modified through a development application.
Frequently asked questions
- Why is only the Marrickville DCP being updated?
- What properties are impacted?
- If my property is located within a ‘Sound Category Area’, what are the immediate implications?
- What is the relevant Local Environmental Plan that is considered with this draft amendment to Marrickville Development Control Plan (DCP) 2011?
Have your say
Community feedback dates
Thursday 4 May - Tuesday 13 June 2023
Other ways to get in touch
We are committed to making sure you can access the information you need in a format that is right for you.
If you would like information supplied in another language or format, please contact us Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm via these free community services.
- Free interpreter via TIS National: 13 14 50
- Voice Relay: 1300 555 727
- TTY: 133 677
- SMS Relay: 0423 677 767
You will need to provide the project lead's phone number - 02 9392 5137.
Contact the project lead directly
|Phone||02 9392 5210|
c/o Jarrad Sheather
Inner West Council
PO BOX 14
Talk free with an interpreter - call 13 14 50
我们说普通话。 如需免费传译服务，请致电131 450， 然后请传译员致电 02 9392 5204 接通 Inner West市政府
我們能說您的語言。 如需免費傳譯服務，請致電131 450然後請傳譯員致電02 9392 5204 接通 Inner West市政府。
Μιλάμε τη γλώσσα σας. Για να μιλήσετε δωρεάν σε διερμηνέα καλέστε το 131 450. Ζητήστε τους να καλέσουν το Δήμο Inner West Council στο 02 9392 5204.
Parliamo la vostra lingua. Per parlare gratuitamente con un interprete chiamate il numero 131 450. Chiedetegli di chiamare il Comune di Inner West al numero 02 9392 5204.
Chúng tôi nói ngôn ngữ của quý vị. Muốn nói chuyện có thông dịch viên miễn phí, hãy gọi số 131 450. Yêu cầu họ gọi cho Hội đồng Thành phố Inner West qua số 02 9392 5204.