The NSW Government introduced new planning controls on 26 February 2021 as part of to Leichhardt Local Environment Plan 2013. The new planning controls seek to facilitate a mixed use development on the site containing residential dwellings with ongoing provision of floor space for light industrial and creative purposes. The LEP amendment retains the existing IN2 Light Industrial zone and requires the provision of 6,000sqm of employment. Further details of the LEP amendment can be found in the FAQ section.
A draft DCP for the site has been prepared to support the objectives and planning controls of the LEP amendment and provides further guidance to future development. The draft DCP document can be viewed in the Exhibited Material section of this page.
What is happening now?
Council seeks your feedback on the proposed site specific amendment to the Leichhardt Development Control (DCP) 2013 for 469-483 Balmain Road, Lilyfield.
What is in the draft DCP?
The LEP amendment required the draft DCP to provide for all of the following:
- design principles drawn from an analysis of the site and its context
- buildings to be retained in, and incorporated into, any future mixed use development
- distribution of land uses, including open space (its function and landscaping)
- building envelopes and built form controls, including specified building storeys, setbacks (both to the ground floor and upper storeys), bulk, massing and modulation of buildings
- housing mixes, including affordable and adaptable housing
- vehicle access arrangements
- encouraging sustainable transport, including increased use of public transport, walking and cycling, and appropriate car parking provision
- improvements to the public domain and opportunities for its passive surveillance
- the application of the principles of ecologically sustainable development
- environmental impacts such as overshadowing and solar access and visual and acoustic privacy
- measures to mitigate land use conflict between the residential component and employment uses of the mixed use development
- measures to mitigate land use conflict between the residential component of any future development and the employment uses surrounding the site, including light industrial uses
View the proposed site specific Development Control Plan amendment pdf
Have your say
The Site specific Leichhardt DCP amendment for 469-483 Balmain Road, Lilyfield survey has now concluded
You can provide feedback:
- Online by completing the submission form
- By mail addressed to: Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham 2049, attention to Con Colot
- Call a FREE Interpreter or the National Relay Service, Monday to Friday between 9am-4pm and provide our phone number 02 9392 5977
- Free Interpreter call TIS National on 131 450
- Voice relay call 1300 555 727
- TTY call 133 677
- SMS relay call 0423 677 767
Last day to provide feedback is on Sunday 1 August 2021.
What happens next?
After the exhibition closes, your feedback will be reported to Council which will determine whether or not to progress the site specific amendment to Leichhardt DCP 2013. Anyone who makes a submission will be notified when the matter is consider by Council.