A new version of Council's Tree DCP is on public exhibition for community comment.
At the Council meeting on the 26 October 2021, Council noted that the Tree DCP 2020 was inconsistent with the NSW Vegetation SEPP and the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act. Council resolved to review the DCP and report back to Council.
Feedback from the community over the past 12 months has identified a range of issues in regard to the workability of the DCP application processes. These comments were regarding the complexity around categories for application types at lodgement, high application costs and property damage claims.
Summary of draft Tree Development Control Plan (Tree DCP) 2022
This new version of the plan aims to address:
- Standardisation of key definitions with other legislation and neighbouring Councils to limit confusion for industry practitioners,
- provide distance exemptions to limit risk and claims to dwelling houses,
- provide further exemptions to allow property owners to manage minor vegetation works on their property without Council consent (where other legislation does not prohibit),
- provide simplification of the application system for users (reduce application types and simplify criteria,
- lower permit fees by introducing a consistent fee structure to match the existing development application fee structure,
- have trees sustainably growing in optimum locations, providing maximum canopy cover on properties to meet Council canopy targets, mitigating the effects of global heating and creating more liveable, cool spaces around dwellings.
View the key document
Make a submission
Council invites your feedback on the draft Tree Development Control Plan (Tree DCP) 2022
- Online by completing the Tree DCP submission form below
- By phone speak to Lisa Murphy
- By mail, addressed to Lisa Murphy Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham 2049.
- Call a FREE Interpreter or the National Relay Service, Monday to Friday between 9am-4pm and provide our phone number 02 9392 5913.
- Free Interpreter call TIS National on 131 450
- Voice relay call 1300 555 727
- TTY call 133 677
- SMS relay call 0423 677 767
Submissions close on 3 July 2022
What happens next
Everyone who makes a submission will be emailed with the date at which the elected Council will decide whether to adopt the draft or not.