The Inner West Council area has a population of 182,037, out of those 62,228 or 34% were born overseas and 51,597 or 28% speak a language other than English at home. In a meeting on 24 April Council resolved to develop a Multicultural Policy. Council has now endorsed the public exhibition of a draft Multicultural Policy and Action Plan 2018-20.
About the policy
The purpose of the Multicultural Policy and the Action plan is to support and celebrate the Inner West as a multicultural community. The policy affirms Council's commitment to the principles of the Multicultural NSW Act 2000.
The Actions in the plan include:
- Lunar New Year - expanded events
- Anti-racism film competition and festival
- Inter-Faith reference group
- Expanded Civic receptions including: Chinese, Cypriot, Greek, Indian, Italian, Lebanese, Maltese, Nepalese, Portuguese and Vietnamese
- Language Services - provide more information in key community languages
- Community to Community Relationships including: 6th October City - Egypt, Bethlehem - Palestine, Giovinazzo- Italy, Funchal - Portugal, Keelung, Taiwan, Kos - Greece, Lamaca - Cyprus, Maliana - East Timor, Safita - Syria.
- Employment of Multicultural Project Officer
Attend one of two forums on:
- Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 6:00-7:30pm, Petersham Customer Service Centre, Level 3, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham
- Tuesday, 18 September 2018, 12:30-2:00pm, Ashfield Customer Service Centre, Level 6, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield
Have your say
You are invited to provide feedback on the draft Multicultural Policy and Action Plan 2018-20.
- Online, using the submission form below
- By mail, addressed to Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham 2049. Please mark your submission 18/SF436 draft Multicultural Policy and Action Plan 2018-20 - Public Exhibition
- In person, at Council’s customer Service Centres: Ashfield 260 Liverpool Rd, Leichhardt 7-15 Wetherill Street, Petersham 2-14 Fisher Street
Last day to provide feedback is Thursday, 21 September 2018.
What happens next?
The feedback received will be incorporated into the final policy which will be considered by Council for adoption at a meeting on 9 October 2018. All those who provided feedback will be advised when the policy will be considered by Council.