Proposed changes to the current planning controls in the Marrickville Local Environmental Plan 2011 for the site 67, 73 Mary, 50-52 Edith and 43 Roberts Streets, St Peters (the former Taubmans Paint Factory site) will allow new development to occur. View the site location map here.
A preliminary planning proposal for this site was placed on public exhibition in February 2016 and refused by the former Marrickville Council in March 2016.
Following this, the proponents applied to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DP&E) for a Pre-Gateway Review and in February 2017 the Sydney Central Planning Panel recommended the existing planning proposal be submitted to the DP&E for Gateway Determination. In October 2017 DP&E approved the planning proposal at Gateway for this public exhibition.
Key features of the planning proposal on public exhibition
- Rezone from R2 Low Density Residential and IN2 Light Industrial to B4 Mixed Use to support the ongoing use of the site for employment while allowing residential apartments in a mixed use development
- To create approximately 180 apartment dwellings
- To increase the building heights and floor space ratios on the site as per the table below
by amending the Marrickville LEP 2011. The NSW Minister of Planning & Environment has delegated the making of the Plan to DP&E. Council is the Relevant Planning Authority.
Existing Floor Space Ratio
Proposed Height & Floor Space Ratio
67 Mary Street
A mix of heights ranging from
Floor Space Ratio: 2.2:1
73 Mary Street
50-52 Edith Street
43 Roberts Street
- Where did this planning proposal originate?
The proponent (initiator) of the planning proposal is an independent party.
- What is Council’s role in the planning proposal?
Council is the Relevant Planning Authority (RPA). This means it is the body appointed to administrate the PP through the LEP making process. Council has not been 'delegated to make the plan' which means it is not the final decision making body. The DP&E (as delegate of the Greater Sydney Commission) has the final decision in this case.
View the Planning Proposal information
Hard copy information is available at Petersham Service Centre, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham 2049.
Have your say
- online using the form below
- by post, addressed to The Interim General Manager, Inner West Council, Petersham Service Centre, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham 2049. Please mark your submission 17/SF2819
Submissions close at 5pm on Tuesday 20 February 2018.
Enquiries - please contact Colette Goodwin on 93925138.