Council is proposing to improve the streetscape and pedestrian safety in John Street, Tempe. Angle parking on the northern side of the street would also be formalised through this proposal.
The proposed work includes:
- constructing landscaped kerb extensions on both sides of the street at the Lymerston Street intersection to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians;
- resurfacing the road;
- planting eight new trees in the road and footpath, improving conditions for three existing trees in the road and removing three ailing trees;
- constructing landscaped islands around existing in-road trees and new in-road trees;
- formalising 90 degree angle parking by providing line markings, landscaped kerb blisters and signage; and
- upgrading and re-grading the gutter in the cul-de-sac to improve street drainage.
Many residents currently angle park their cars on the northern side of John Street. This would be formalised through the proposal resulting in an increased number of on-street parking spaces. One on-street parking space will be removed on the south side of John Street to accommodate a new in-road street tree with landscaped island.