Earlier this year Council prepared a discussion paper based on principles of transparency, equitability and consistency and sought feedback from all sporting clubs currently using sporting grounds in the Inner West. In June, Council officers facilitated a workshop which was well attended by sporting club representatives who provided feedback, six written submissions were also received. The engagement results were considered by Council at a meeting on 21 August. At that meeting Council adopted the principles and resolved to develop the Sporting Grounds Allocation policy.
About the policy
The purpose of the policy is to contribute to a healthier Inner West by encouraging active sports participation and to establish eligibility and the selection criteria for the seasonal allocation of sporting grounds.
The objectives of the policy are to:
- Provide a transparent, equitable and consistent methodology for the seasonal
allocation of sporting grounds and facilities to sports clubs, sports associations,
schools and tertiary education providers
- Provide a diverse range of opportunities for participation in sport, recreation and
physical activity for Inner West residents
- Provide access to sporting grounds and facilities which contribute to a healthy
Inner West and promote participation in active sport, physical activity and social
- Ensure the opportunity for participation of a broad mix of groups, including
participation of girl, women, people from lower socio economic backgrounds, people
with disabilities and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Ensure that Council managed sporting grounds and facilities are occupied by
inclusive, viable and sustainable sporting clubs and sporting associations
- Ensure that access to sporting grounds by all users has regard to the
sustainability and maintenance requirements associated with good sporting ground
Have your say
You are invited to provide feedback on the draft Sporting Grounds Allocation policy.
- Online, using the submission form below
- By mail, addressed to Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham 2049. Please mark your submission SC1532 draft Sporting Grounds Allocation policy - Public Exhibition
Last day to provide feedback is Wednesday, 12 November 2018.
What happens next?
The feedback received will be incorporated into the final policy which will be considered by Council for adoption at a meeting on 27 November 2018. All those who provided feedback will be advised when the report is available for viewing.