Council has prepared a draft Inclusion Action Plan for people with a disability and is now asking the community for feedback before considering whether to adopt the plan.
Purpose of the plan
The Inclusion Action Plan (for People with a Disability) 2017-21 outlines the steps Council will take over the next 4 years to support and improve the inclusion of people with a disability as part of its core business, and to remove barriers to access and participation, including any discrimination based on disability. The Action Plan also gives expression to Council's commitment to uphold and promote the United Nation's Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability.
The Inner West Council is committed to an inclusive and accessible local government area that provides improved and equitable opportunities for all persons living with disability to access the full range of services and activities available in the community and to participate fully in the community.
How the plan was developed
The plan has been developed through listening to the needs and ideas of people with a disability, family members of people with a disability, and agencies who provide services to people with a disability and/or their families.
Read the plan
Hardcopies of the document are available at all Council Customer Service Centres and Libraries
Have your say
Comments can be made throughout the exhibition period, which is from 1 March to 30 March 2017:
- by using the feedback form below
- By mail to : Glenn Redmayne, Inner West Council, Petersham Service Centre, 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham NSW 2049
- In person : at Council Customer Service Centres using the feedback forms provided
Comments close at 5pm on Thursday 30 March 2017.
Attend an information session
Staff will be available to talk to you about the plan and take your feedback
- Monday 13 March, 11am-1pm at Leichhardt Town Hall Conference Room
- Thursday 16 March, 5pm-7pm at Ashfield Service Centre
- Tuesday 21 March, 2pm-4pm at Petersham Service Centre
Attend a workshop
- Thursday 23 March 6pm - 8pm , Town Hall, Ashfield Service Centre
Please RSVP to 9716 1819.
What happens next
The feedback received through the exhibition period will be collated and incorporated where appropriate, and a revised final draft will then be reported to Council for adoption. Everyone who provides their details will be advised of the Council meeting where this will be discussed. Once Council adopts the IAP it will be submitted to NSW Government and NSW Disability Council by 1 July 2017.
If you would like to discuss the plan in more detail, or need it in a different format, please contact one of the following Inner West Council staff
- Gabrielle Higgins Community Development Officer - Ageing, Disability and Social Inclusion
P: 02 9367 9043 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glenn Redmayne Strategic Community Project Officer - Access and Inclusion
P: +61 2 9335 2074 E: email@example.com
- Julia Phillips Community Development Worker Seniors & Disability
P: 02 9716 1819 E: Julia.Phillips@innerwest.nsw.gov.au