Council is investigating the possibility of converting the caretaker’s cottage in Elkington Park, Glassop Street, Balmain into a café. This was a resolution of the former Leichhardt Council which was made on 24 March 2015 at a Council meeting.
Throughout December 2015 and January 2016, the community was invited to participate in a survey on the options for re-using the cottage. Council received 63 responses to survey.
What’s happening now?
At a Council meeting on 23 August it was determined that the following information be made available to the community:
- results of the initial community engagement
- Parking and Traffic Impact Assessment
- Conservation Management Plan
Council is continuing to investigate the possibility of converting the cottage into a café by:
- exhibiting an amended Plan of Management for Elkington Park (upcoming);
- preparing and lodging a Pre-DA application to determine if the proposed work, hours of operation and number of customers is acceptable; and
- finalising the business plan for café in Elkington Park.
The community will be invited to give feedback on the amended Plan of Management when it goes on public exhibition.
Find out more
If you have any questions and comments please contact Council’s Manager Property and Commercial Services Leichhardt, Lyn Gerathy, by email or telephone: 9367 9134.