Council is investigating the possibility of converting the caretaker’s cottage in Elkington Park, Glassop Street, Balmain into a café. This was a resolution of the former Leichhardt Council which was made on 24 March 2015 at a Council meeting.
Throughout December 2015 and January 2016, the community was invited to participate in a survey on the options for re-using the cottage. Council received 63 responses to survey.
What’s happening now?
At a Council meeting on 23 August it was determined that the following information be made available to the community:
- results of the initial community engagement
- Parking and Traffic Impact Assessment
- Conservation Management Plan
Council is continuing to investigate the possibility of converting the cottage into a café by:
- exhibiting an amended Plan of Management for Elkington Park (upcoming);
- preparing and lodging a Pre-DA application to determine if the proposed work, hours of operation and number of customers is acceptable; and
- finalising the business plan for café in Elkington Park.
The community will be invited to give feedback on the amended Plan of Management when it goes on public exhibition.