The Compost Hut trial has now ended.
Council trialled two compost huts - at Petersham Road Reserve and Tom Kenny Reserve in 2017.
The trial has now ended, and will be evaluated using participant feedback and other information before any decision is made to make the compost huts permanent.
View the trial site maps below.
What is a compost hut?
- It is a clean and tidy communal composting area in a public place
- Local households drop off fruit and veggie scraps to the hut for composting
- The compost hut and system is maintained by Council staff
- The huts produce high quality compost, which will be made available to participating households, and for local use.
- Compost huts have been proven to work successfully in Hernani, Spain