Council will soon begin constructing new footpaths in Australia Street, Camperdown from Salisbury Road to 71-73 Australia Street to improve accessibility for pedestrians.

Council is focusing on people and the places they live – Australia Street is an inner city street with some mature street trees providing great canopy cover.

Planning for the natural environment and infrastructure, like streets and lanes, will take place concurrently so that Council can:

  • help people move about easily
  • create more attractive places for people to live
  • contribute to a healthy environment through best practice water, tree, and biodiversity management
  • coordinate works so there is less disruption within the street providing increased efficiency

The plan

Download here

The new footpath will be constructed this financial year, subject to final funding allocations. As part of the work, Council will:

  • replace the existing asphalt footpath with new concrete footpath on the west side between Salisbury Road and 71-73 Australia Street.
  • construct a landscaped kerb extension and a kerb ramp at the intersection of Eton Street and Australia Street to improve pedestrian access.
  • provide five new trees.
  • create a continuous grass verge behind the kerb and around all existing and new street trees.
  • replace any old or damaged street signs.
  • repair any damaged existing private stormwater lines leading from your property (between the front boundary and gutter) within the area of work.
  • work with residents who are interested in creating and maintaining a landscaped verge garden – see photo adjacent for typical example.
  • coordinate any replacement or repairs you may wish to make to your driveway (if you have one) while contractors are working in your street (see attached fact sheet)
  • send you notice of the works and more information prior to works commencing.

Driveway replacement options

There is an opportunity for householders replace their driveways at the same as Council contractors are constructing the new foot paths. The process is different depending on whether householders would a) like to pay Council contractors to do the work or b) bring in their own contractors.

a) For householders who would like to pay for Council contractors to do the work at the same time as they replace the footpaths

1. Request initial approval by submitting this form to Council by Friday 29 July 2016.

Council’s Request for Approval for Vehicular Access (driveway Step 1)

2. In most cases approval is granted, and householders can then liaise directly with Council’s Contractor who will supply a quote on request. Council’s contractor details will be provided following approval of your application.

b) For householders who would like to bring their own contractors in to do the work at the same time as Council contractors replace the footpaths

1. Request initial approval by submitting this form to Council by Friday 29 July 2016.

Council’s Request for Approval for Vehicular Access (driveway Step 1)

2. In most cases approval is granted and then this form should be filled in and submitted

Council’s Application for Construction of Vehicle Crossing and Civil Works (driveway Step 2)

The forms can be submitted in person at Council's Admin Centre, 2-14 Fisher St, Petersham or by email to

Driveways - who does what?

Under Section 218 of the Roads Act 1993, the property owner is responsible for a driveway and is liable for all construction and maintenance costs from property boundary to the road. As part of Council’s works we will repair sections of driveways, which have been damaged due to a utility service restoration or a Council tree. Any other damage to a driveway is the responsibility of the property owner.

What happens next?

Get in touch with Council using the form below before 5pm on Friday 29 July 2016 if you are interested in:

  • making comment on the design or other elements of the street

  • creating and maintaining a new verge garden/s in your street

Any further questions?

For specific enquiries about this project contact Council’s Senior Engineer Investigation and Design
Ranji Nadarajah on 9335 2211.

I would like to talk to a Council officer about creating/maintaining a verge garden Required

The survey form is now closed. Thanks for your contributions.