Council seeks your feedback on the proposed site-specific amendment to the Leichhardt Development Control (DCP) 2013 for 122-130 Pyrmont Bridge Road and 206 Parramatta Road, Annandale.
On 5 May 2023, the Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) finalised an amendment to the Inner West Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2022 for the above site.
The new LEP planning controls will facilitate a health services facility on the site, now zoned B5 Business Development Zone with an FSR of 4:1 and a maximum height limit of 35m (equivalent to 8 storeys). The site-specific LEP provisions require that a DCP be prepared which provides detailed guidance for the redevelopment of the site.
At its meeting on 14 March 2023 (C0323(1) Item 4), Council endorsed to place the draft site-specific DCP amendment on public exhibition.
Key features of the site-specific DCP amendment
The draft DCP amendment provides more detailed guidelines for the site to support the LEP controls. Key components of this draft DCP include:
- Built form and urban design controls to provide detailed guidance on height, setbacks and transition.
- Public domain guidelines to integrate with Council’s masterplan along Pyrmont Bridge Road and future plans around Mathieson Street and Cahill Street. This includes land dedication to Council – 6m along Mathieson Street and 3m along Cahill Street. Additionally, setbacks are required to provide right of way/ easement along Pyrmont Bridge Road and a new public plaza along Mathieson Street entrance.
- Landscaping and deep soil planting controls which require minimum 10% deep soil planting along Mathieson Street and 15% tree canopy cover.
- Ecologically Sustainable Development controls to deliver a minimum 5 Star Green Star Buildings Certified Rating and include passive design features, water sensitive urban design, full electrification of utilities and recycled water use.
- Parking and access requirements for car/motorcycle/bike parking, vehicular access, and electric vehicle charging facilities.
These draft provisions will be included as an amendment to Part G of the Leichhardt DCP 2013. This draft DCP amendment has been prepared in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and Assessment Regulation 2021.
About the site-specific LEP provisions
The site was subject of a rezoning review. Consequently, the site-specific LEP provisions were prepared and finalised by the DPE (refer to the project history in the FAQs). Site-specific LEP provisions resulted in the following changes:
- Rezoned the site from IN2 Light Industrial to B5 Business Development Zone
- Increased the FSR from 1:1 to 4:1
- Introduced a new height of building control of 35m (equivalent to 8 storeys)
- Introduced a new provision which requires the proposed development to satisfy the below criteria prior to being granted development consent:
- confirms the objective of the proposed development is to encourage health, education and cultural uses in the Camperdown-Ultimo Collaboration Area
- deliver at least 75% of the floorspace as employment uses associated with health, education, research, technology and creative uses
- permit retail premises on the ground floor to encourage active street frontages
- prohibit tourist and visitor accommodation
- provide active frontages to Mathieson Street, Parramatta Road and Pyrmont Bridge Road
- not significantly increase the amount of traffic on the adjoining street network including but not limited to Parramatta Road, Mathieson Street, Pyrmont Bridge Road, Cahill Street, Cahill Lane, Water Street and Gordon Street
- include end of journey facilities to support walking and cycling
- Require a site-specific DCP to be in place prior to approval of development application
Download a copy of the draft site-specific DCP amendment
Relationship to Parramatta Road Corridor Strategy and Tech Central
The site is located within the Camperdown Precinct of the Parramatta Road Corridor as defined by the Parramatta Road Corridor Urban Transformation Strategy (PRCUTS). The vision for Parramatta Road Corridor is:
A high-quality multi-use corridor with improved transport choices, better amenity and balanced growth of housing and jobs.
The site is also within Tech Central – (previously known as the Camperdown-Ultimo Collaboration Area) Tech Central stretches from Camperdown to Ultimo, and covers Darlington and Eveleigh, most of Haymarket, Ultimo and Camperdown, and parts of Glebe, Forest Lodge, Newtown, Redfern and Surry Hills.
It is envisaged to evolve into a mature innovation eco-system supported by health and education institutions including the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney, TAFE NSW and University of Notre Dame.
The Camperdown-Ultimo Collaboration Area Place Strategy 2019 identifies the precinct as an innovation and technology capital and recognises the need for new and affordable employment floorspace to support innovation, research, creative industries, and collaborative projects across industry, business, health and education sectors.
Have your say
This consultation is closed.
Other ways to provide feedback
- By email to Olive Diaz via email@example.com
- By mail, c/o Olive Diaz addressed to Inner West Council, PO Box 14, Petersham 2049
- Call a FREE Interpreter or the National Relay Service, Monday to Friday between 9am-4pm and provide our phone number 02 9392 5562.
- Free Interpreter call TIS National on 131 450
- Voice relay call 1300 555 727
- TTY call 133 677
- SMS relay call 0423 677 767
Last day to provide feedback is Wednesday, 21 June 2023.
What happens next?
After the exhibition closes, your feedback will be reported to Council which will determine whether or not to progress this draft site-specific Leichhardt DCP 2013 amendment. Anyone who makes a submission will be notified when the matter is considered by Council.